April 12, 2010

Just Being Self-indulgent

Every time I see this dress, I drool. Milly is one of my favorite designers out there because of her fabrics (they are always brilliant in colors, striking in their graphics and then she compliments them with special beads... ever so individually placed). You feel like you're in Palm Beach when you wear one. I have a couple of her dresses, but I've never paid full price for any of them (the one below sold for $400). So, my new thing now is: I WANT TO SEW!!

Although I need to find a course on how to do it first--and if I can--I could use that time to make one of these. This very same one! How rewarding that would be!! Making this maxi dress can't be so hard, right? Is there anyone out there who can help me with locating a pattern which mirrors it?

I'd love to learn how to sew tunics, summer dresses and maybe even skirts. How fun! I really never cared for the idea of anything to do with a sewing machine before, but after several years of slowly getting addicted to watching Project Runway--how could I not catch the sewing bug? All I can do right now is a button (which I learned on YouTube) thus I know my road ahead shall be long... but what a skill to have at some point in your life!





7 comments:

Denise said...

Scarlett, you have touched my heart. You have the desire so you can do it. It is no more difficult to make a full length dress than a short one.....just more fabric. You will need a tutor. Maybe you can find one in Boston. Your mother has all the sewing equipment in Maine. Now you just need a pattern. I will look. Oh yes....the fabric is essential. It is one reason that you like this dress. You probably have good sources in Boston as well or the internet. Good luck

Scarlett said...

You know me well, Denise -- yes, it's ALL in the fabric! And I am in LOVE with this chevron one. Wish you were closer so I could hire you to be my tutor!!! The pattern is hard to find because of that mid section area... but if you ever see anything along the way, I would be forever grateful to you! :)

Denise said...

Scarlett, you have great skills. You could make this pattern yourself.......really you could. My grandmother was a professional seamstress. That is she made her living sewing. She had a handful of clients that had quite a social life and my Mimi's job was to take a photo from Vogue magazine and copy it. She made custom patterns and after several fittings made her clothing to fit her clients. I fortunately learned my sewing from her. This is not a difficult design. That is one reason that you like it but I will look for one similar or I will just have to make the pattern for you but what fun would that be for you?

Scarlett said...

What fun for me, you ask? The easier the better, I say!!! :)

When I was in college, I had a friend in the fashion department and I once watched her make a pattern--it was the most difficult part of the project. Perhaps if I had a form I would be more inclined to take a dive forward with this (I think those things are essential), but I looked at them online and (jimminy!) they're more than the dress! No wonder people just buy the patterns!

Reading how your mimi could build patterns right out of Vogue is... well, it's BEYOND impressive to me. She was very gifted indeed: CLEVER, crafty... and heaps of TALENT made that all possible. You carry her traits (I've seen your quilts, not to mention your other art works!).

Thanks for your encouragement though, however I know my hands. This dress might take a year to get made, yet if I end up doing it, it will definitely be an interesting version in the end. ;)

Denise said...

So this is what this lovely dress is: a fabulous fit bathing suit top attached to a 3-4" midriff band with a large rectangle of flowing fabric attached below. If you can find a bathing suit top with a similar style you have your pattern.

Marjorie said...

When you come to visit next month you can use my sewing machine. I am betting you can make this dress. Denise will give you all the encouragement you will need. She is very patient and supportive.

Good luck !

Scarlett said...

I have a sewing machine, but thanks! And doing this in TX will not be on my agenda -- unless YOU want to do it!! ;)